Friday, March 11, 2011

Off to San Francisco

Well we are off on another adventure this Sunday. This year Derrick is in charge of Alternative Spring Break at Weber State. I feel some days that I might as well be! ASB is where 30 Weber State students get to go somewhere and serve for the week. We are going this year to San Francisco area. We will actually be staying in Oakland at a Sikh temple. There in Oakland we will be working on 9 duplexes. WE will be hanging doors and window, insulation, drywalling, painting you name it. We have written grants to keep the cost low and the school helps the cover charge too. This years cost was only $160, which includes: transportation, housing, and food for 7 days. Putting everything together is exhausting! I love watching everything pull together nicely! I have a rant, so bare with me; we put our paperwork in back in Sept. for a nice good bus. We were given the bus we wanted but a week ago it was taken from us and we were given a crapy bus that broke down on us last year and the luggage compartments on the bus stay closed due to duct-tape.  It bothers me that the sports programs pressured the transportation coordinator for the bus that was ours! I am sososo annoyed! We should not be treated any different when we are paying the same price and even if we weren't! I will live with it... but help that guy who gave us the broken bus if it breaks down. He already knows what I think of the situation! As of late I have been in charge of making a menu for the week! Has anyone tried to make a menu for a week of food for 30 people on a budget? I can now say I have! It has been CRAZY! Tomorrow I will go and buy all the food and take it with us on the bus! I am excited to go all in all! We both have worked so hard for a year to pull this off! I post pictures when I get back!

2 comments:

Mollie Rose Herrey said...

Love you! Hope it turns out well :)

Levi and Cynthia Wilde said...

Wow, what a wonderful thing to do on your spring break! Good for you! Hope you don't have too much trouble with the bus! :)