Saturday, December 3, 2011

Hemming Pant TRICK

It is no surprise to anyone that Derrick and I are SHORT! The only thing that bothers me......my pants are always tooo long! It is annoying! I hate to cut them off and sew them under; it looks extremely nerdy and I would rather have them long. A secret was given to me.... here is the picture process of hemming pants... in a not so nerdy fashion! 

Have them try on the pants and roll up to right lenght
I measured and pinned all the way around to make sure they were even! Don't mind the yard stick! I couldn't find sewing one! 


Put it on the inside and adjust....

Line where the new desired length with the old yellow line (Whatever you measured, it will be a little longer because on you will always line it up to the yellow line to make it an optical illusion! Be careful with your pants that have an inch of fabric in the original hemline!)

Sew as close to the edge as possible.... doesn't have to be perfect! Sew a little slower over seems to make sure your needle doesn't break and make sure you have a new, durable needle! At some points you may be sewing over 4 + layers at a time! 

Repeat on the other leg and WAAALAA! You can't tell at all from far away!

Barely can tell close up! 
Some of Derrick's pants we hemmed 9 inches! OH my gosh! We did not buy most of them that long, some were given to us and some pants were on sale!

Hope this helps others out there! And if you mess up..... just unpick and try again! I have cut jeans too short and I had to make them into shorts! Oh, I forgot, I would add one more step! Sew up both the inner and outer seems from the bottom of pants until the material inside is sewn to the seem. This ensures the extra fabric stays in place and doesn't fall out! This was a trail and error process! Never actually seen this done before! 

2 comments:

Gaylene said...

I just love the hairy toes in the pictures!! I couldn't help but comment...sorry :)

luvmorgansky said...

Derrick says they are hobbit feet!