Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Visiting the Monastery

I always knew there was a Monastery up in the mountains by a little town Eden. I had not been up there since I was a little girl. My husbands family makes a trip up there every few months to restock on honey. So today my husband's mom drove us up there today to pick up some honey that they make every year. It did not look like what I remembered, but nonetheless it was still fun to see Father Patrick. We are really sad because Father Patrick and other monks that run the monastery will not be keeping up with the bees. They are getting older and can't keep up with everything. Will no one become a monk to save the monastery for our family's addiction to to their honey!? Any takers?

My husband and I have been home sick today, I am thinking we are getting the winter gunk. Im definitely not a fan of getting sick during the holidays. Especially when my husband is on call for AAA. I love riding with him when he is on call so he does not have to spend his nights alone. When I work days and he works nights it is hard to see each other! Currently I feel better then he does so I am driving him around while he sleeps in the truck. Oh MY GOSH! We just drove up to the family mechanic to pick up his truck.... yea $372 later.... I thought $500, it surely could have been worse! I think I'll park my car for a while so I can postpone putting the much needed new tires on it.

I have been contemplating taking piano lessons again. My mom taught me basics when I was young and my grandma paid for paid for lessons in high school. I want to know how to play the piano for reals. When I was on my mission they asked me to play the piano... gosh I was embarrassed playing one handed. My mom has garage band on her computer and she bought an actual piano key board that has an usb adapter. This allows her to play the piano on her computer! Hmmmm I wonder if this would help me to practice playing the piano? I played it tonight and had a lot of fun! I have garage band on my mac book pro but you also have to purchase the lessons online.

HMMMM yum yum! I made my first home-made steamer tonight. It was a success but I am going to need a little more practice! My mission companion got my addicted to steamers. A steamer is warm steamed milk that is slightly sugared. The secret is not to actually boil the milk..... Thank you to my coco latte machine it does not boil my milk. Then I added a little Stephen's hot coco, but the secret is the liquid syrup flavor. My favorite is hazelnut. I am trying to find Stephen's liquid syrup flavor that 7/11 has! Talk about yummy! Maybe a little creamer and there you have a yummy steamer. Oh I also put a drop of vanilla. Be careful! I put milk into the coco latte machine and hit the froth button instead of the heat up button. Gads, I had no idea cold milk could expand sooo much. Suffice to say I had milk froth all over my counter. My sweet hubby cleaned it all up. I actually spilled milk twice, I am thinking I am in need of a new gallon of milk! If anybody knows a better recipe for steamed milk let me know.

No comments: