Saturday, May 4, 2013

One Day I'll meet him!


I called my dear friend once I got news her dad had passed away. I knew he had been sick and in the hospital but I thought he would have a quick recovery. He was a fighter. Lena is one of the most talented artists I know and has a gift to love all. I love her beyond just a friend; we have this bond that’s in my heart that I only share with a few people. We served our missions together and those 18 months were the most cherished months I will ever have. My life was dedicated to proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ 24/7 and nothing can compare with that time! Anyways, my heart broke for Lena and her family I wanted to do anything I could for her, and at this request she asked if I would come to the funeral. Within a heartbeat I said, of course. Only having a few days to put the trip to California together. We decided to rent a car and drive to San Francisco Friday and spend the day there and stay the night in Sacramento with Lena. Saturday funeral in Sacramento and drive home Sunday.  Derrick seemed like he had a little cold on the way down so I decided to drive all the way from Utah to Cali by myself and Derrick would get to drive all the way home. We had a blast as always in San Fran, I think this has been our 3 or 4th times there together. Friday night we stayed with Lena, her mom and Angela and the kindest people I know! Derrick felt worse and worse but put up a good fight to enjoy our time in Cali. We attended the viewing and then funeral on Saturday. PACKED funeral! I have attended A LOT of funerals in my life, grandparents, close friends, and neighbors. Never has any of them impacted me like this one. Max Hamman was one amazing person, never have I ever wanted to meet someone more in my life from attending a funeral. I guess I am blessed know him vicariously through he daughter. Max was a kind hearted, out going, dancing king, friends with everyone, ALWAYs inviting people to know more about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, he would do anything for anyone, loved his family and so much more then once sentence! This was not a normal funeral service for me, it made me reflect on my own life and I wanted to be more like Max because he emulated Christ! After finding out how amazing he really was, my heart hurt even more for his family. The chapel was packed and kind of warm but throughout the funeral Derrick was sweating and when I asked if he was all right he just said he didn’t feel well. Following the funeral there was a dinner and a dance. Max LOVED to dance. I gave hugs and kissed to Lena and her mom explaining that Derrick didn’t feel well. We drove back to San Fran because our hotel was there. We both were exhausted and fell quickly to sleep. Sometime in the middle of the night I felt like I was in a Sauna. I discovered Derrick had such a high fever that he was sweating so bad the blankets were keeping all the moisture in. I woke him up because the whole bed was soaking and helped him move to the other bed. I got him medicine and a cool cloth to try to bring the fever down. We didn’t have a great night sleep and I had to drive ALL the way back home!
After a week of this I bit the bullet and took him to an instacare and after the Xrays, sure enough he had pneumonia. I should have taken him sooner but we are not insured. It took another few weeks to get all better! 
Old time Arcade on the Warf in San Fran!




Love China Town

Always a favorite stop!



Max in his dancing Zuit Suite, Lena and I









Love this guy!








No comments: