Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Moving Day


The day Derrick was offered his job, was the day we felt we needed to move closer to his work. We lived in a multifamily duplex and if we moved, so would everyone else! We talked with everyone and they decided to move too. That same day our lease was up and we would have to give our months notice too! Everything was happening way too quickly!
We instantly spent every night in SLC hunting and looking for a place to live that was not in the ghetto and not too expensive. Seriously we could not find anything we felt good about that whole week. We pulled out a map and looked at the surrounding cities, Bountiful struck a cord! So we knew what area but where in Bountiful. We spent the next week hunting and searching and at last with two weeks til move day we found a place to live. Little did we know how hard it would be to get into that apartment complex. I contacted the ward we would be moving into and choose a day at the end of the month. I let the ward we were moving out of know the same time frame. Little did I know what paper work drama that would occur and the hoops we would be jumping through. No joke… I really felt this was where we should move to, but the morning of the day before we were going to move was something that I cannot even make up.
I had preordered a Budget truck. When I called before I picked it up, they informed me there was not a truck for me to pick up! Not sure how that was possible. At the same time, I got word that there was a problem with our apartment and we would not be able to move in the next day either.
LET THE STRESS begin!! I have no truck and no place to move to, yet, we have people on both ends to help us move…….I immediately got on the phone and was on the hunt for another moving truck!  Friends, family, and neighbors were going to be at our house in 5 hours. I finally found a Uhaul truck to pick up; I was scared to drive a 24 foot truck because I have NEVER driven anything that big! At least I would have something to load our stuff into. After driving the truck, I realized that if you are an observant driver, that is cautious and courteous…. You can drive this bad boy!
I drove to our apt building and they were waiting on approval from their national headquarters. They had no idea when everything would be pulling through. I just prayed and prayed that everything would work out the way we had planned. We loaded to truck with everything inside the house besides our bed. For whatever reason I felt our bed should not go with us. The next morning we drove the Uhaul to Bountiful and as we pulled into the complex, not knowing if we even had a place to live, I was sick to my stomach. I couldn’t even walk into the office, I sent Derrick. I saw him come back towards me and I tried to read his face…. He opened the Uhaul door and told us that the corporate office just gave us the OK to move it!!
HOLY BEGEEBERS!! OUR PRAYERS WERE ANSWERED!!!
We signed all our paper work and went to the bank and got the money they needed, they gave us keys to the apt…… We went over to the apt and soon realized that we would not be moving in, at least we did not bring our bed with us. This was not the apartment we had walked through initially and the one we were supposed to move into had a strong smoke smell. We don’t smoke and didn’t want our stuff to smell like that! We had to put our stuff somewhere. I realized that prayers are always answered but rarely the way that we think. We ended up having to use a storage shed of the apartments and our storage closet. This was the biggest nightmare. We now had an hour to unload the whole rental truck, fill it up with and drive it back to Ogden….. Well as unbelievable as it sounded…. We returned the truck on time….. The complex cleaned the room and bombed it with a cedar bomb; something that absorbs all the smell and replaces it with a better smell. So nothing was in our actual apartment… Derrick and I moved everything from those storage sheds into our actual apartment by ourselves! What a nightmare! I NEVER want to move! We signed a year lease and I hope we are going to be here longer than that! MOVING is not fun! For those who know, we had a 3-bed house full of crap and a two-car garage full of stuff too and we moved into a one-bedroom apartment. We worked really hard go through our stuff and rid of what we do not need!! I make it a habit to go through our stuff often!
Oh our life it soooo comical sometimes!! And not always in a funny way!

No comments: