Tuesday, November 13, 2012

On the Road Again


Well as all may know, WE LOVE to travel! It runs through my blood, I contribute it all to my Cowley Grandparents. I have almost been to every state in the US with them, probably near 40/50. As we were thinking about spring break this year, it was obvious we were going to go somewhere. The past 3 years I had been involved with a humanitarian spring break but giving all the gray hairs from them, we opted to do our own thing…… but what?
Well for whatever reason, I wanted to go to Texas but of course in a round about way! Now the question was HOW to get there? As I was talking to my sister Laura, she told me she wanted to go to Texas for spring break too. Now there was 4 (Me, Derrick, Laura and her daughter Sera) on board for spring break but no mode of transportation. My sisters boy friend, Mark,  drives a 2 door Chevy Covalt, CHERRY RED! The best cop magnet ever and this trip would be a grand total of 5000 miles! We talked him into going and letting us take his car… It was going to be squishy with the 5 of us!! All 5 of us sat down and hashed out the trip and put all the things that we each wanted to go and see! This trip was supposed to fulfill some itching in me to see certain places and things. It not only fulfilled some itching but created a monster. I wrote down things from every city I wanted to come back and see.. OH BOY!

Day one
We left on a Friday morning and I started the day out horribly sick! I mean I was ralphing my guts out and we talked about delaying everything by 1 day but realized with the miles we were driving, we would never catch up on the trip. Lucky for me I got shotgun but could not help drive. The cherry red car picked us up our first souvenir in Nebraska.

First item of business; Confetti popcorn @ Vics Popcorn in North Platte! Love this place, it now has a new name but the popcorn is just as good! My mission companion got me addicted and I dream of eating it often!



We arrived in Lincoln late that night. Jim and Jennifer Buhler offered their home to some of us and Jim and Leann offered their home to the rest. Jim and Leann were baptized 5 years ago! I loved to see them still going to church and loving the gospel. Our time was short but it was so good to see these families and while in Nebraska I realized that I miss that place oh so much! We had to get up early to get on the road! LONG day ahead of us!

Day two
We left at the crack of dawn, still sick out of my mind, we headed to Omaha to see Winter Quarters! A place that sits on hollowed ground! Those early saints sacrificed so much while there and walking through the cemetery gives me chills. We left Omaha and drove through a bit of Iowa, and on into Missouri for the day. Today our list of things to see where pretty much church history sites. Derrick had never been to them, and I even picked up a new site too. We had a nice dinner with ALL of Mark’s family in the Kansas City, MO. We ended the night split up again. They stayed at Mark’s Grandmas and we stayed with a friend of mine from middle school when I lived in Washington. I had mentioned to her we would be in the area and she invited us to stay with her. It was really good to see her and meet her family. I am grateful that Facebook was able to keep us in touch. Thank you Bonnie Call and family!

Derrick @ Winter Quarters

Winter Quarters Temple



Liberty Jail

Independence, MO



Independence VC 


A new monument at the 8 witness site.
Mark, Laura, and Sera

Mark's baby girl's grave site

Sera super bored in the car!

and Derrick too, they are taking pictures of each other! 

Day three
We got up extremely early and headed on the road, our final destination?.... Texas!! We went through Kansas, and on into Oklahoma. We visited the bombing site and the Temple. Our stops were short and we would quickly get back on the road. I was still unable to drive because I was still extremely ill (despite what I tried to look like in the pictures). I was unable to drive (only in little spurts) and by now I was so tired and ill I did not even know what to do! We would be staying this night in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I knew I had a friend from high school that lived here and I knew they were members of the LDS church. I found her number and asked if Derrick and I could stay the night with her family. Upon arriving in TX, we visited a good friend, old seminary teacher of Derrick’s in north Dallas, drove my sister to West Ft. Worth and then drove back to North Dallas to stay the night with my friend. This was not just a hop skip and a jump! Texas was by far the worst state I have EVER driven in and I have driven in nearly 30! I was frustrated, tired, sick, Derrick wouldn’t drive at ALL, and we were driving in circles! Finally Kendra and her husband stayed on the phone and directed us in! BIG THAnks TO the Thornocks! When we got there, we went straight to bed!
Gloomy day on the road, no one needed their sun glasses!

Oklahoma bombing site. 







Chairs representing all the children that died in the bombing

Sera in front of the Oklahoma City Temple

Derrick with Brother and Sister Richey


Day four
I dreamt Kendra’s little boy let the air out of the air mattress while we were still sleeping. Luckily he didn’t. This morning we slept in a little and enjoyed breakfast with them. Kendra’s husband and Derrick were able to give me a blessing. I was so thankful for this family to live in such a way that when an old friend called to ask for a blessing, he would be able to do this! We soon got on the road to head to Mark’s cousin’s house to pick them up. We stayed and chatted with them until just after noon and of course southern hospitality, they feed us a yummy lunch! WE got on the road soon after.
We wanted to stay at the Great Wolf Lodge! SOOO amazing, they are all over the US. The price was a little out of the question, so we opted to let Sera and Derrick hang out there the rest of the afternoon. Basically running up and down the stairs completing tasks! I was still too ill to hardly do anything! The few things I wanted to do in Dallas, I didn’t get to do! But there is always next time. Once all the tasks were completed, we got on the road to head to San Antonio. This is where we would be staying for a few nights and this would be the only time we would be staying in a hotel. We would be meeting up with a friend of Laura’s. Once we drove into town, I instantly recognized the humidity.
The Thornock family












Day five
We got up as early as our bodies would allow and we headed into San Antonio to see the Missions, the River Walk, and everything we had wanted to see. This was a place I had never been to and it was amazing. LOVED it there. Derrick and I broke away from the 5 kids and 3 adults and got on a tour bus and toured the city and learned so much. We walked sooo much this day. We all went out to dinner with the Perkins, and this was the first real food I had eaten on the trip, yes day 5! After dinner I was so sick that I slept with my head in a vertical garbage can propped up on a chair. I was so depressed that I felt soo sick and could do nothing about it!














Derrick's breakfast at the hotel!

After seeing all the Missions today, this brand has a new meaning.


Day 6
We were supposed to be heading down to Corpus Christie today but the Perkins had season tickets to 6 flags and had coupons to get us in for $15 for the day. I normally don’t like to go to amusement parks on a trip but the price was right and I am not sure I could handle another day on the road; not that riding roller coasters would make me any better. It was a mutual consensus to go. It was fun to ride the rides and I couldn’t tell what was making me sick! I would like to think it was the rides! After a long long day, we left and ate at the Rainforest CafĂ© on the River Walk in San Antonio. We had such a fun day!












Day 7
I starting the day feeling lots and lots better! FINALLY! Today we would be making the trek across Texas and into New Mexico. We stopped in Roswell we  had out of this world, fun time! NEVER EVER stop at a Wal-Mart in the middle of nowhere! They always have great clearance and we had NO ROOM to stuff things! Of course we found room but not a good idea! This night we would be staying with a mission companion and her family, well actually, just her husband would be home. The Esmiol’s are amazing people! LOVE them to death! “Sister Johnson” was my mission companion twice, during the hardest times on my mission. She was there when my Uncle died and when my companion decided to go home! She was a saviour for me. Derrick and I stayed up all hours doing everyone’s laundry that night.
Walmart clearance... all $1

Alien McDonalds








Day 8
We all got up extremely early (of course) and drove into Santa Fe! I can’t wait to go back to there! Oh my gosh we had so much fun! Today’s goal…. Phoenix, AZ. We would be staying with Derrick’s Aunt and her family. A LOT of driving today and A LOT more. Once we got to Derrick’s Aunt Janis’ house we chatted for a while and then went out to eat! We ate at a Chinese mixed with Mexican food… What to you call that? Chinican? Mexinese? I was leery at the time but seriously SOME of the wiredest, best food I have EVER had! I LOVED IT! The next day we wished we had a car so we could eat there again! If you know the show, Diner’s and Drive’s on Food Network with Guy Fer.. something, he has been there too! Derrick’s cousin Avi entertained us with some guitar music and it was AWESOME!








an LDS church history monument in the middle of nowhere NM....



Day 9
Today is St. Patrick’s Day, one of Derrick’s favorite holidays! We all went on bike rides, attended the Temple, had Rubin sandwiches instead of corned beef and cabbage, and had a wonderful day!
Us infront of the Mesa Temple

Derrick's cousin Avi

Derrick and Aunt Janis







Us loosing to Aunt Janis to the game Smart A$$


Day 10
On our way HOME!! It is a long days drive from AZ to Utah!! We had to take another route home because of the terrible snowstorm! Wanted to go to the four corners! Never been there before! Maybe next time!!

We made it home safe and sound and the ride home cured me for a month or two of not wanting to ‘trip’.

Until next time!!

No comments: