Thursday, September 10, 2009

A Day for Caring

Here in Utah today was dedicated to 'A Day of Caring' sponsord by the United Way. After helping Amy this morning, I want down to our local homeless shelter and sorted canned goods. Wow they had huge bins like 4 1/2 feet cubed bins and they were all overflowing with cans. Our job was to sort them to specific crates. Like even down to certain soups; tomato, chicken noodle.... I was pretty much the sorter and then one would bring me food and others would put away what I sorted! I could keep five people with jobs. A very fast moving job. I did that for 4 hours straight and it was so much fun! It was hot and it just felt good to be doing this for someone else. Sometimes I am in the 'ME' stage of life! I try not to focus on me all of the time but it happens. I forfeited morning classes to stay there. I was there with Americorps and the Community Involvement Center at school! I was so dirty that you could see dirt lines on my face and pretty much everywhere else! I ran home before I had to go back to school and work..... only to find my water in my apt not working... I had already stripped down... GREAT!! I had to take a shower!! Could not go anywhere like this! I called my employer and asked if I could use their shower, so I went over in my robe and used their shower! FRUSTRATING!! I already feel like I live there 24/7 and I am sure they do too! But they are a wonderful family! I guess the newspaper came and took pictures of us sorting... I didn't pay attention to the camera so I hope they do not post any pictures of me in the paper!!! I looked scary too!! Looking forward to a good weekend!

No comments: